Getting in to comp.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Getting in to comp.

Post  Vishy on Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:06 am

Hey Guys!
School holidays are approaching and I was thinking of getting into competitive. I know how to actually get into a game and stuff but I'm not sure on the actual gameplay (map locations, roles, tactics etc.). Any tips on how to learn would be nice Smile
Thanks!
Vishy
Unremarkable
Unremarkable

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting in to comp.

Post  Duke on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:19 pm

glad to see you're interested in comp. it's a lot of fun Smile

from my experience, one of the most helpful things you can do is watch demos of other spies. see how they react in certain situations, when they go for picks, etc. if you can find POVs with comms it's even better. watching your own demos can help as well.

hopefully when you find a team you will discuss map locations and tactics together. your role for any given map will vary depending on how your team plans to play it. ask them questions about what they want you to do and discuss how you can support the team most.

one of the best ways to get feedback is to get a mentor. if you're interested in finding one, look here.

good luck!
Duke
Unremarkable
Unremarkable

Plays for : Proficient With Distinction

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/doook

Back to top Go down

Post  Vishy on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:24 pm

Thank you Duke! Really helped Smile But do I need to know map locations when I play lobbies/ semi comp? I don't think I can commit myself to a team just yet. I want to start with tf2 centre Smile
Vishy
Unremarkable
Unremarkable

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Almaironn on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:39 am

Vishy wrote:Thank you Duke! Really helped Smile But do I need to know map locations when I play lobbies/ semi comp? I don't think I can commit myself to a team just yet. I want to start with tf2 centre Smile
Well... technically you don't need to know map locations and still wreck noobs in tf2center, but what would be the point of that? Your eventual goal is competitive, where you will absolutely need to know map locations and stuff, better start learning it now. It certainly won't hinder you in tf2center. Not to mention you will learn map locations naturally a bit, even if you don't put in any direct effort, just by playing (but putting in that effort helps to learn it faster and better)
Almaironn
Wicked Nasty
Wicked Nasty

View user profile http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/almaironn

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke on Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:30 am

Vishy wrote:Thank you Duke! Really helped Smile But do I need to know map locations when I play lobbies/ semi comp? I don't think I can commit myself to a team just yet. I want to start with tf2 centre Smile

i agree with what almaironn said- you don't need to know map locations for tf2 center, but it can't hurt to learn them anyways. if you want to look into maps, comp.tf has some good general-purpose info.

don't worry if you're not 100% confident on a map in lobbies. they're pretty casual. just watch out for assholes. have fun Smile
Duke
Unremarkable
Unremarkable

Plays for : Proficient With Distinction

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/doook

Back to top Go down

Post  Vishy on Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:07 pm

Thanks again Almaironn and Duke! I will report back on how it went if I get into one. Thanks again!
Vishy
Unremarkable
Unremarkable

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top