UGC Map Talk - Week 3 - Upward

View previous topic View next topic Go down

UGC Map Talk - Week 3 - Upward

Post  SLASh on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:35 pm

Its almost here.
What do you think about the map? How do you usually play? Is it more like a gun-spy/or "normal" spy map? If gun-spy which weapon? Ambassador, because of the open, big areas? DR or IW?

Also some nice POV, Heinsight etc.

Isil's POV:

Fearboy's POV, tho its like 1 year old:

S1nedrion's POV:

Carlotso25's POV:

Inso's POV, 1 year old:

Solid's POV:

Also Moose Tracks, and Heinsight, because why not:

Moose Tracks:

Heinsight:

DISCUSS!

Last edited by SLASh on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
SLASh
Sufficiently Lethal
Sufficiently Lethal

Plays for : [AD]After.Dark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: UGC Map Talk - Week 3 - Upward

Post  Carlotso25 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:43 am

Lordy, that's a lot of Pov's. I'd recommend adding Solid's though if you want to add to the already large library. His is a VERY good analysis of his gunspy playstyle on such a map. Have a look at it. (Cba to find the link atm)

----
Anywho, I like this map a lot for Spy. It's not his enemy in my opinion anyhow. There's a lot of versatility in how you want to play it and help your team. Fairly open but with plenty of corners, moments for gun and knife play, and a wide variety of flanks to choose from, not covered by the usual flank classes as often unlike other maps such as badwater I might add.

It's my opinion that this is a map where your playstyle can really change the game for your team. Whether it's focusing one specific class, helping with the DM, timing a sap, comming a lot, or whatever you please. This is a map which I feel you have the freedom to work with your team the way YOU want to.

Key note: If there is one class this map does favour indefinitely though, it's the Sniper. Incredibly long sightlines that can destroy your whole team if you're not careful. Big class to focus on this map. Take him out, call him out, scare him out, do whatever it takes so that your team can't be sniped by him.

--OFFENSE--
As for me, I like to run Invis for pushing the first point. I find it too difficult to find a good place to sit with the C&D that doesn't get spychecked, so I prefer to put my efforts into getting the Sniper down and using my teams push to find my way in to Sap or drop as opposed to waiting in a spot and decloaking. DR is decent for getting me behind, but not much else. Teams usually won't be distracted by me too much, at most sending only a scout after me, so I find it fruitless.

For second, I again prefer Invis for taking out the Sniper. He's a bit easier to take down on this point because he usually is at the tracks or the back, or in the lookout. In other words, not directly in sentry line of sight. I don't like DR, because it's fairly obvious where you're going if you are using it to get behind. Can get caught out very easily by a Scout sent back there. Can be of use to push the cart though. I play this like the first point. Get rid of the Sniper, then be ready to sap. Usually aren't able to drop due to them either being in the window room or behind the sentry.

For third, DR becomes quite viable, as the flanks become very more open and numerous. Hard to track you precisely. Though I still don't use it, as that's just not my playstyle. I prefer getting in the best position with Invis. As per the norm, I get rid of the Sniper. He's usually very easy to get if he's on the tracks over the cliff, a bit less so if he's all the way at the back by the usual sentry spot. In any case, here I like to try to make an aggressive play on the combo if they're far forward. At the very least the Demo is a good pick. He usually has stickies denying exit of the house your team holds in. The sentry is usually so far back, it's pointless to go for it first if my team is having issue getting through the combo. I then help with the sentry once my team gets closer to it.

For last, the problem with attacking it is that the sentry and combo are usually split. It's the best way to defend it, split the defense so you force the offense to choose. As a Spy, I feel that if you can remove one of these threats, your offense becomes much easier. If I feel I can get the Med, then I'll go for it sure. Problem is, they usually are holding in a pretty secluded area with a Pyro near them, so it's difficult. Engie is usually a better target as he's on his own unless the Pyro is for some reason with him. In short, I go for whoever has the least protection. With a bit of distraction, you can remove one of the threats. The Sniper is also good to get down ofc, but not as important as the last 3 points.

--DEFENSE--

For first point, at least for the first life, I like to run C&D and comm a lot. Particularly on the position of the Sniper, low targets, and as to whether the Medic has left spawn or not. I usually don't go for a pick unless I know I can get it, as it's valuable information I give. If I do end up dying though, then my choice of watch goes to how they reacted to me. If I noticed they were particularly on a mass lookout for me, I like to go DR and assume a gunspy style of play. If I noticed they weren't on the hunt for me though and were just passively Spy aware, I would stick to C&D. With a good decloak you can get a nice few picks, but can be difficult if the enemy is on the lookout for it. Hence the watch decision.

For second, I'll stick with whatever I picked for the first point in the end unless I find it's not working. I particularly like DR for taking out the Sniper. He's usually behind the rocks and well protected by heals, an engie and a razorback. Hard to land a stab on him with so many eyes. I prefer gunspying in that instance so atleast I have some insurance and that I can distract him more easily if I can't kill him. Though C&D is more useful for calling out the combo and when they're pushing. Pick and choose what you think will help more imo. I don't like using Invis though. I feel more pressured and that this is a point where you do need some kind of insurance. Teams are usually quite spy paranoid at this point and with good reason. They need to hold and wait for a good push, purely because of your Sniper and Demo pressuring em as so. They won't have that many good openings, so being pressured by your cloak meter isn't a good thing in my opinion. But that's just me.

For third, it depends really. DR is fantastic for taking out cart pushers and is quite helpful in maintaining a presence during the push. C&D can net you a great position in comming what's going on in the house though, something you can't really do with the other watches as well. Again, do what you think will help more. In short, DR is good for clearing the cart, and for after the push happens. C&D is great for comms and for getting direct openings in the middle and before the push. Invis can be helpful for taking out the Sniper, but not much else. Besides, nothing the other two watches can't do, so I don't see much point in it.

And now last. Interesting point that you have quite a lot of options for. I prefer to run DR and provide flank support. I also like to run C&D and comm when the Sniper is peaking and where the combo is pushing from. I also like to head to their spawn (with either DR or Invis) and focus the Tele and perhaps get a cheeky spawnkill. Anything really is possible at this point, so the key is to be unpredictable. Constantly change up who or what you're going for so the enemy can't get a clear idea of what you're doing. For instance, I like to start with DR and mostly play underneath. The moment I start seeing too much going on down there, I'll switch to C&D and harass their Engie and Sniper in main. Once they're checking for me often I'll run to their spawn and aggravate their Engie further by wrecking their tele. And whilst the Engie is head over heels searching for me, the Scout doesn't spycheck at all as I switched to DR, feigned against a Solly, and nab a free kill on said Scout as he's pushing the cart. The Soldier and Scout are in uproar being super paranoid. The combo has no idea I've decloaked behind em when I switched to Invis. Drop-a-dopped.

Ideal scenario I know, but I hope you get the point I'm making. Unpredictability is very powerful defending this last imo. Use it Very Happy

AND... That's all I gotta say on the matter. Hope I was helpful ^^
Carlotso25
Admin
Admin

Plays for : 66 Degrees North

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/Carlotso25

Back to top Go down

Post  SLASh on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:10 am

Forgot that also, thought it would be a lot, but okay sir.
Its in now.
SLASh
Sufficiently Lethal
Sufficiently Lethal

Plays for : [AD]After.Dark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  _kayzer_ on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:39 am

Whatever helps make the enemy sniper cry - sometimes its vanilla, sometimes is gunspy, sometimes its something else.

I like to run amby from 1st to 3rd point and then change to revolver on last.

My own pov at one half of this etf2l season

_kayzer_
Mildly Menacing
Mildly Menacing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top