Tobias Funke's Kunai Guide: Salvaged Edition

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tobias Funke's Kunai Guide: Salvaged Edition

Post  Trîp/Reggie on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Directly quoted from a post he made in the old forums, magically not deleted and preserved here instead, guide contained
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Many of you have seen this before, many of you haven't. Many of you who have may need a refresher.

I love the Kunai. I'm about to reach 40,000 Kills. I'm obsessed. It's amazing.

I'm glad I made this Steam Guide before my only other copy was obliterated from the interwebs.

This Guide contains:
Overview
Introduction and Specs:
Managing Low Health with Invisibility Watch
Dead Ringer with Kunai
Using Your Over-heal: Invisibility Watch
Using You Over-heal: Dead Ringer
Competitive Play
Kunai Video Series
Closing Remarks

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=122100732

*A note on Competitive play with the Kunai*

Many will tell you it cannot be done. It can. I have seen success with it, and have had friends see success with it. RJ and vanilla have had great pug moments with it. I have used it against Pyros like Pudding Cup, Cygnus, and Huey. It is all based on timing, positioning, and map style. It is a risky choice, and I will agree that it is not the best, but it can be very powerful. I say all of this based on my 1000+ hours on Kunai use alone. That's a lot of dedication to a single, high risk, unlock. I urge you to try it with caution. I spent my time getting to know this knife on 32/32 Crit payload servers like Taunt Gamers, Slaughterhouse, and No Heroes. A great deal of your success with the Kunai in Competitive is based on experience, and with Invisibility Watch to boot.

That's all for now,

- Tobias Fünke ɧɧ™ ¹º²
Trîp/Reggie
Gore-Spattered
Gore-Spattered

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/nofriendsontheotherside

Back to top Go down

Re: Tobias Funke's Kunai Guide: Salvaged Edition

Post  pinkrabbit on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:46 am

lol tobias
pinkrabbit
Notably Dangerous
Notably Dangerous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlotso25 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:09 pm

One of the most unique spies I've ever met. That's all I'll say on that lol.
Carlotso25
Admin
Admin

Plays for : 66 Degrees North

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/Carlotso25

Back to top Go down

Post  pinkrabbit on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:52 am

Trîp/Reggie wrote:

*A note on Competitive play with the Kunai*

Many will tell you it cannot be done. It can. I have seen success with it, and have had friends see success with it. RJ and vanilla have had great pug moments with it. I have used it against Pyros like Pudding Cup, Cygnus, and Huey. It is all based on timing, positioning, and map style. It is a risky choice, and I will agree that it is not the best, but it can be very powerful. I say all of this based on my 1000+ hours on Kunai use alone. That's a lot of dedication to a single, high risk, unlock. I urge you to try it with caution. I spent my time getting to know this knife on 32/32 Crit payload servers like Taunt Gamers, Slaughterhouse, and No Heroes. A great deal of your success with the Kunai in Competitive is based on experience, and with Invisibility Watch to boot.

- Tobias Fünke ɧɧ™ ¹º²

There is no advantage to using the kunai in comp, it's retarded. Successfully stabbing people with it doesn't mean it was the knife that brought you success...

The only advantage it brings is more subscribers on youtube as you're a "niche spy". But then again he believes that Jesus visited america so logic isn't his strongest suit olololol
pinkrabbit
Notably Dangerous
Notably Dangerous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trîp/Reggie on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:55 pm

Still thought I'd link it, if only for the guide. Despite the creator, it's still a well thought out guide on how to use the Kunai, which is a basic spy knife that a guide would be handy for.
Trîp/Reggie
Gore-Spattered
Gore-Spattered

Back to top Go down

Post  Brag on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:45 pm

You guys seem to be rather skeptical about Tobias, mind sharing a story or two?

Brag
Scarcely Lethal
Scarcely Lethal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Almaironn on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:55 pm

I have to agree with rabbit here. It's quite simple - the kunai gives you a disadvantage until you backstab someone, then you have an advantage. In competitive, your role as a spy is to backstab important people and not survive afterwards. Therefore it is useless. Tobias seems to think otherwise, but has yet to provide some reasonable explanation as to why.
Almaironn
Wicked Nasty
Wicked Nasty

View user profile http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/almaironn

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlotso25 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Personally I believe he's only claiming this so as to distinguish himself and stand out. Which is fine, it just draws a line when he claims it to be completely viable in comp. The only reason it's viable at all is because it can backstab, which is the same as the regular knife. The health bonus and drawback are negatives, so there's no reason to run kunai.
Carlotso25
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Trîp/Reggie on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:57 pm

While the Kunai provides no obvious use, I find it's pretty damn useful and so much more fun that the stock knife. It helps teach you how to ACTUALLY be stealthy, lets you survive a whole lot longer (although the spycicle arguably does this, the Kunai's extinguish-on-stab action is a nice way to still get the pick and survive the Pyro), and the concept to ME seems worthwhile, even though you're apparently going for picks where you'll most likely die getting out of it.

Atop this, the survivability allows access to places the Spy can't normally get to, like increased rocket/sticky jumps and a load of damage surfable stabs. It's a niche, no denying that, but it's a really nice niche to fall into IMO.

EDIT: And at the end of the day, what is a game made for? Enjoyment.

Last edited by Trîp/Reggie on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Conclusive point)
Trîp/Reggie
Gore-Spattered
Gore-Spattered

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentNinja on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:14 pm

Fun question now: Would the kunai become better/op/viable/whatever you prefer, if the health actually just stays on you like base health and goes down on taking dmg
SilentNinja
Gore-Spattered
Gore-Spattered

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlotso25 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:52 pm

SilentNinja wrote:Fun question now: Would the kunai become better/op/viable/whatever you prefer, if the health actually just stays on you like base health and goes down on taking dmg

Don't think so, no. Maybe it would be great for Div's 5 and 6 where you can wreck. But at higher divs, the pick is more important. No extra health is worth your basic health to get the job done. The health staying on wouldn't make a big difference imo. Let's be honest, the only reliable class in comp that you would get a stab on to put that health to future use would be the Sniper. And if he wears a razorback, gg. Otherwise any health you might gain in a stab will just vanish instantly to the combined spam from whatever you didn't backstab. It's irrelevant and still leaves you with the same problem; You have 60 health before going for a stab. Not good.

Besides, the survivability factor? Pfft, got nothing on the Spycicle :L

No, I think the stock 125 health is a round number that serves just fine. No need to jump from 60 to 185.
Carlotso25
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sqrt(-1) on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:07 am

Kunai works in steel league. Ish.

I've used it once in a real match, and that was on viaduct, in steel league, so div 5 ish.

It's fun, but honestly, it's not that viable.
Sqrt(-1)
Gore-Spattered
Gore-Spattered

Plays for : Currently teamless.

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/sqrtofneg1/

Back to top Go down

Post  pinkrabbit on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:16 am

Sqrt(-1) wrote:Kunai works in steel league. Ish.

I've used it once in a real match, and that was on viaduct, in steel league, so div 5 ish.

It's fun, but honestly, it's not that viable.

you're forgetting that e2 n0 i2 tobias funke hh tm 102 says it's viable
pinkrabbit
Notably Dangerous
Notably Dangerous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trîp/Reggie on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:17 pm

I guess it's just a huge amount of preference, I hate the spycicle because I go for risky picks and normally get set alight when going for a stab, or when I get lit and I need the pick, I'll still try it. The Kunai lets me get out safely, which I really love.
Trîp/Reggie
Gore-Spattered
Gore-Spattered

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentNinja on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:57 pm

Carlotso25 wrote:
SilentNinja wrote:Fun question now: Would the kunai become better/op/viable/whatever you prefer, if the health actually just stays on you like base health and goes down on taking dmg

Don't think so, no. Maybe it would be great for Div's 5 and 6 where you can wreck. But at higher divs, the pick is more important. No extra health is worth your basic health to get the job done. The health staying on wouldn't make a big difference imo. Let's be honest, the only reliable class in comp that you would get a stab on to put that health to future use would be the Sniper. And if he wears a razorback, gg. Otherwise any health you might gain in a stab will just vanish instantly to the combined spam from whatever you didn't backstab. It's irrelevant and still leaves you with the same problem; You have 60 health before going for a stab. Not good.

Besides, the survivability factor? Pfft, got nothing on the Spycicle :L

No, I think the stock 125 health is a round number that serves just fine. No need to jump from 60 to 185.
I am talking about Pubs since I only play pub (just a few HL games, recently played vs Villdjack on tf2center), soooo Wink
SilentNinja
Gore-Spattered
Gore-Spattered

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top