The Big Earner

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Big Earner

Post  Carlotso25 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:30 pm

As unquestionably one of the most useless of Spy weapons, the Big Earner recently got buffed into what could arguably be pretty damn good now.

Big Earner

Added 3 second speed gain on kill

This buff could actually open a load of doors for Spy now. What do you reckon?

Carlotso25
Admin
Admin

Posts : 819
Join date : 2013-01-24
Age : 20
Location : UK, England
Plays for : 66 Degrees North

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/Carlotso25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Nickolaos on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:35 pm

Yes Yes YES! I think this buff was well deserved and I rekon the Big earner might even be viable in HL. Think about it when you get behind the combo and stab someone most of the time the pocket or team mates will turn around to kill you. With this speed boost on backstab you can get the first backstab and use the speed boost to quickly get another person or two meaning that suicide picks are can now be more effective and even if you are not suiciding you can still use the speed to get away.

Nickolaos
Unremarkable
Unremarkable

Posts : 16
Join date : 2015-07-06
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Villdjack on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:36 pm

My new favorite knife, have not switched off it since the patch came out.

  • The speedboost allows you to suprise your enemies and get stabs on classes that are faster than you
  • Combined with the DR, getting a stab and then using the deadringer allows you to get away from every class in the game
  • Not sure if the speedboost stacks on chainstabs but if it does that means its even more powerful of a knife
  • its gonna get banned in comp because its so good rip

_________________
Add me tokitori

Villdjack
Admin
Admin

Posts : 338
Join date : 2013-01-24
Age : 19
Location : Sweden
Plays for : Fair enough & Team Sweden

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/villdjack

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Carlotso25 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:38 pm

Villdjack wrote:

  • Combined with the DR, getting a stab and then using the deadringer allows you to get away from every class in the game

Are you implying that the Dead Ringer and Big Earner speed buff actually stack with eachother? And that it doesn't just reset the time?

Carlotso25
Admin
Admin

Posts : 819
Join date : 2013-01-24
Age : 20
Location : UK, England
Plays for : 66 Degrees North

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/Carlotso25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Nickolaos on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:39 pm

Carlotso25 wrote:
Villdjack wrote:

  • Combined with the DR, getting a stab and then using the deadringer allows you to get away from every class in the game


Are you implying that the Dead Ringer and Big Earner speed buff actually stack with eachother? And that it doesn't just reset the time?

Was wondering that too Razz

Nickolaos
Unremarkable
Unremarkable

Posts : 16
Join date : 2015-07-06
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Villdjack on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:43 pm

Nickolaos wrote:
Carlotso25 wrote:
Villdjack wrote:

  • Combined with the DR, getting a stab and then using the deadringer allows you to get away from every class in the game


Are you implying that the Dead Ringer and Big Earner speed buff actually stack with eachother? And that it doesn't just reset the time?

Was wondering that too Razz

thats what it felt like yestarday, i ran away from scouts multiple times, not sure if it stacks that way though


Last edited by Villdjack on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Add me tokitori

Villdjack
Admin
Admin

Posts : 338
Join date : 2013-01-24
Age : 19
Location : Sweden
Plays for : Fair enough & Team Sweden

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/villdjack

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Segno on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:49 pm

I stabbed a demoman and caught up with a scout slightly in front of him. Big Earner is pretty strong now.

Segno
Somewhat Threatening
Somewhat Threatening

Posts : 82
Join date : 2014-05-27
Age : 18
Location : United States
Plays for : Spicy+ Support

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/SegnoGaming/

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Villdjack on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:52 pm

Segno wrote:I stabbed a demoman and caught up with a scout slightly in front of him. Big Earner is pretty strong now.

maybe one speedboost is enough to get equal or higher speed than a scout then?

_________________
Add me tokitori

Villdjack
Admin
Admin

Posts : 338
Join date : 2013-01-24
Age : 19
Location : Sweden
Plays for : Fair enough & Team Sweden

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/villdjack

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Carlotso25 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:54 pm

Perhaps I'll make a video testing this!

Carlotso25
Admin
Admin

Posts : 819
Join date : 2013-01-24
Age : 20
Location : UK, England
Plays for : 66 Degrees North

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/Carlotso25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  scott pilgrim! on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Villdjack wrote:
Segno wrote:I stabbed a demoman and caught up with a scout slightly in front of him. Big Earner is pretty strong now.

maybe one speedboost is enough to get equal or higher speed than a scout then?


I also think that the speed boost would allow for really extravagant tricky stabs. It would probably take a little bit to nail them down, but if you do, then it'd be really nice.

scott pilgrim!
Strange
Strange

Posts : 2
Join date : 2015-07-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Gregoravich on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:01 pm

The speed buff allows you to get a sick strafe jump across to the sentry spot on upward last from front stairs. hard to do but bypasses that dispenser. but i dont think the knife is worth it when you can die to a stray pipe.

Also, if you need a speed buff to escape an enemy you arent playing spy right. the DR buff rewards noobs without escapology skills so tehy dont have to learn the class as much as before. its annoying because i developed strats to avoid flames after DR ect which are now redundant. :cc

Gregoravich
Unremarkable
Unremarkable

Posts : 23
Join date : 2015-05-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Sneaky on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:31 am

Gregoravich wrote:The speed buff allows you to get a sick strafe jump across to the sentry spot on upward last from front stairs. hard to do but bypasses that dispenser. but i dont think the knife is worth it when you can die to a stray pipe.

Also, if you need a speed buff to escape an enemy you arent playing spy right. the DR buff rewards noobs without escapology skills so tehy dont have to learn the class as much as before. its annoying because i developed strats to avoid flames after DR ect which are now redundant. :cc

If you did develop strats to avoid these, surely now it does it automatically you should be happy with the changes, ignoring the fact you wasted a little bit of time perfecting them?

I think the big earner pairs in well with the "less damage taken while cloaked" change meaning that it takes around 125 damage to kill you while cloaked anyways even with only 100 HP.

Sneaky
Mildly Menacing
Mildly Menacing

Posts : 47
Join date : 2015-07-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Selek on Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:44 pm

I'm pretty sure both Big Earner and DR give the Disciplinary Action buff (addcond 32 with sv_cheats 1) and don't stack. The speed buff is 35 %, i.e. 405 Hammer Units per second compared to Scout's 400.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Disciplinary_Action

Selek
Scarcely Lethal
Scarcely Lethal

Posts : 27
Join date : 2013-01-26
Location : Germany

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/Selektionsfaktor/

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Isil on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:13 am

I fall in love with the new Big Eaner, I didn't remove it from my C&D and IW loadout. And I do a lot of lobbies to see whether it is worth for comp or not.
The speed boost is so fun to use, and it introduces two things :
- a new escape mechanism that allows you to survive after agressive stab (when the enemy team is packed) or stab in a small area (viaduct etc). You can stab an hide to a corner or to your team. As far as I can see in lobbies (didn't have scrimms yet), it helped me a lot for that, and fit well with my agressive playstyle.
- a new way to chain stab, allowing you to get close to targets that would normally be too far with stock knife.
With the Big Eaner, sometimes it's not really easy to choose between both. Greed or escape.

Lets' talk about the speed boost :
I tested it with a friend the first day it came out (stabbed a pyro while ignited), and it seems it doesn't stack with DR.
As you can see on wiki, the scout can't stack speed boost buff from crit-o-cola and Baby Face's Blaster. And for the disciplinary action, this is not a flat %, which let me think they impleted a cap for each class.

Isil
Scarcely Lethal
Scarcely Lethal

Posts : 33
Join date : 2013-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Toast on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:37 pm

It's exciting they took such a useless shit and made it viable, that is if kkaltuu decides not to ban it Cool At the moment it seems incredibly useful for knife spies, very interested to see whats gonna happen in S9 with that thing.

I'm slightly dissapointed in myself for not seeing this sort of a buff come to the damn thing, as it's value on the market has increased with like 500-600%. If you had invested in a couple of dozen of them before, you could have made a fuckton of dosh

Toast
Unremarkable
Unremarkable

Posts : 17
Join date : 2014-01-06
Location : Denmark
Plays for : Foungi)))

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/ToastTheMugger

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  a Woolen Sleevelet on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:02 pm

Toast wrote:It's exciting they took such a useless shit and made it viable, that is if kkaltuu decides not to ban it Cool At the moment it seems incredibly useful for knife spies, very interested to see whats gonna happen in S9 with that thing.

I'm slightly dissapointed in myself for not seeing this sort of a buff come to the damn thing, as it's value on the market has increased with like 500-600%. If you had invested in a couple of dozen of them before, you could have made a fuckton of dosh

> buy every professional kit off the market for £0.50
> sell next day at £50.00 each
> buy freddos with spare cash

a Woolen Sleevelet
Mildly Menacing
Mildly Menacing

Posts : 60
Join date : 2015-07-06
Age : 19
Location : UK
Plays for : whatever the weeaboo team is called this season

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/Woolen/

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Gregoravich on Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:42 pm

Sneaky wrote:
Gregoravich wrote:The speed buff allows you to get a sick strafe jump across to the sentry spot on upward last from front stairs. hard to do but bypasses that dispenser. but i dont think the knife is worth it when you can die to a stray pipe.

Also, if you need a speed buff to escape an enemy you arent playing spy right. the DR buff rewards noobs without escapology skills so they dont have to learn the class as much as before. its annoying because i developed strats to avoid flames after DR ect which are now redundant. :cc

If you did develop strats to avoid these, surely now it does it automatically you should be happy with the changes, ignoring the fact you wasted a little bit of time perfecting them?

I think the big earner pairs in well with the "less damage taken while cloaked" change meaning that it takes around 125 damage to kill you while cloaked anyways even with only 100 HP.

i don't think making escapism skills unnecessary to learn is something to be happy about. i enjoyed learning how to play against pyros who spyckeck after feign, and i think its good that the game didnt offer me a free way to escape them and i had to adapt. removing this aspect of a game is really bad imo, and rewards new players much more than long term ones.

and yeah the cloak is good for avoiding death via stray pipe. but still, in a fight vs a demo you're twise as fucked while uncloaked, primary vs primary; where it would take 2 pipes now only one. All of which which forces spy into the intended playstyle of the game, which isnt necessarily a good thing because it can be brilliant to let the community of a game flourish in creating new playstyles. adherence to the intentions of the creators should be optional, not forced, stealing the creativity of the community can reduce the fun in the game in my opinion.

Gregoravich
Unremarkable
Unremarkable

Posts : 23
Join date : 2015-05-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Sneaky on Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:44 pm

Gregoravich wrote:
Sneaky wrote:
Gregoravich wrote:The speed buff allows you to get a sick strafe jump across to the sentry spot on upward last from front stairs. hard to do but bypasses that dispenser. but i dont think the knife is worth it when you can die to a stray pipe.

Also, if you need a speed buff to escape an enemy you arent playing spy right. the DR buff rewards noobs without escapology skills so they dont have to learn the class as much as before. its annoying because i developed strats to avoid flames after DR ect which are now redundant. :cc

If you did develop strats to avoid these, surely now it does it automatically you should be happy with the changes, ignoring the fact you wasted a little bit of time perfecting them?

I think the big earner pairs in well with the "less damage taken while cloaked" change meaning that it takes around 125 damage to kill you while cloaked anyways even with only 100 HP.

i don't think making escapism skills unnecessary to learn is something to be happy about. i enjoyed learning how to play against pyros who spyckeck after  feign, and i think its good that the game didnt offer me a free way to escape them and i had to adapt. removing this aspect of a game is really bad imo, and rewards new players much more than long term ones.  

and yeah the cloak is good for avoiding death via stray pipe. but still, in a fight vs a demo you're twise as fucked while uncloaked, primary vs primary; where it would take 2 pipes now only one. All of which which forces spy into the intended playstyle of the game, which isnt necessarily a good thing because it can be brilliant to let the community of a game flourish in creating new playstyles. adherence to the intentions of the creators should be optional, not forced, stealing the creativity of the community can reduce the fun in the game in my opinion.

If that is your opinion then fine! but I much prefer the speed boost and fire resistance of the DR I find it very useful and helps me a lot ingame. It opens up a lot more opportunities when the pyro is around the combo. as for the big earner I appreciate it doesnt help in 1v1 fights at all, but your point before was that a stray pipe could kill you all the time.

Sneaky
Mildly Menacing
Mildly Menacing

Posts : 47
Join date : 2015-07-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  rocksword on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:51 am

I honestly love this freaking thing now. I mainly use it with Dead Ringer and it's worked really well for me in pub. I get stabs for speed boosts, hold up DR while trying to escape, and if all those boosts somehow aren't enough to get away, I have the DR speed boost and damage resistance to help. Plus with cloak on kill, it's a lot more likely that I'll have full DR charge after one or two stabs. It's been amazing for me so far in pubs, I don't know how good or bad it is/will be in competitive but so far I'm loving it.

rocksword
Strange
Strange

Posts : 6
Join date : 2015-07-06
Age : 20
Location : New Jersey, USA

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198141716764/

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Sonikku on Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:18 am

While it is way more viable now, it still feels like an unneeded risk. 100 Health = 1 meatshot, 1 rocket or 1 pill. And, with the dead ringer "rework", it becomes even less viable in terms of health.

However, for suicidal plays or for players who really do know how to avoid shots, it's now an amazing weapon. But i think the old dead ringer with the old big earner would have been just fine, because it would almost instantly give you a 90% damage resistance.

If i'd rank it for the knives i'd use, i'd rank it 3rd. (1st being tied with spy-cicle and default, while 2nd is kunai)

You also can't deny trickstabs with speed boosts are way more viable. Rolling Eyes

Sonikku
Strange
Strange

Posts : 1
Join date : 2015-08-14
Age : 16
Location : Somewhere.
Plays for : Example Highlander

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/Sonikku

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Isil on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:52 am

Sonikku wrote:While it is way more viable now, it still feels like an unneeded risk. 100 Health = 1 meatshot, 1 rocket or 1 pill. And, with the dead ringer "rework", it becomes even less viable in terms of health.

However, for suicidal plays or for players who really do know how to avoid shots, it's now an amazing weapon. But i think the old dead ringer with the old big earner would have been just fine, because it would almost instantly give you a 90% damage resistance.

If i'd rank it for the knives i'd use, i'd rank it 3rd. (1st being tied with spy-cicle and default, while 2nd is kunai)

You also can't deny trickstabs with speed boosts are way more viable. Rolling Eyes

If you take -100 damage from scout or soldier, it means you're spotted at close range. So basically, you're dead, 125 hp or 100 hp....
Now I'm always using Big Earner, because a few time I have escaped a risky situation (or chainstab that) that I could not get with stock knife.

Isil
Scarcely Lethal
Scarcely Lethal

Posts : 33
Join date : 2013-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Big Earner

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum