A writeup I put on reddit about how the dead ringer could be rebalanced to be more skill based and less spammable

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A writeup I put on reddit about how the dead ringer could be rebalanced to be more skill based and less spammable

Post  a Woolen Sleevelet on Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:42 pm

Copy / pasted word for word from reddit, want to see your thoughts on it

https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/3bzow5/an_concept_for_how_the_dead_ringer_could_be/
https://www.reddit.com/r/truetf2/comments/3c17j2/xpost_from_rtf2_an_concept_for_how_the_dead/

_________________________________________________________________________________
It's been made very clear over a few certain updates that valve and many members of the community dislike how the dead ringer used to function. You could freely have it open at any time so that any incoming damage never truly had to be predicted or even reacted to.

This lead to a lot of people just running around and only being killable when they wanted to be unless you were running something specific like jarate or milk to hard counter it. This let spies quite literally pick their own fights, but made it much harder for other players to pick fights against the spy.

I was having a shower earlier and came up with a fix. It'd let people who had good reflexes and had actually played the class for a long time to be able to play in a similar way they used to, while reducing the amount of spies running around being invincible without any shred of skill or gamesense.

Have it so that opening the DR initially takes off a portion of cloak. Nothing huge, something like 15-20%. This would prevent people from just constantly opening and closing it when fighting a class like scout or sniper to prevent damage; or at least make it less forgivable if they mistimed it.

Have it so that while you have the dead ringer out and unused, the cloak meter slowly drains, and that the lower the level of cloak you have, the less armour you have. This would keep with the style of the new update - If you catch a spy after the initial blast of reduced damage you can still track and kill them easier than before. It adds one very important element though - timing. If you have it so that the initial damage reduction of the dead ringer is the 90% of old, but after waiting for more than a couple of seconds it is reduced to 20% you could make the dead ringer a more skilled weapon to use. Not a massive skill ceiling like airblasting or hitting perfect rocket jumps, however it would be in a better shape than it was after the update which reduced it to a near useless quality.

If you practice with your timing well enough, you would learn to use the dead ringer to reduce incoming damage that you reacted to. You would not be able to run around blindly without consequences - you'd have to choose between the new invis / cloak and dagger, where you can pass by unseen and unheard over a long distance with a small damage reduction on top, or the new dead ringer, where if you have decent reflexes and the ability to only use your watch when totally necessary you can escape on more health, however have the downside of a super loud decloak and the inability to travel for longer than 7 seconds due to being unable to pick up additional metal while cloaked. If you time it perfectly you'd get perfect resistance and full cloak distance - but if you time it poorly you'll get a bad resistance and only a few seconds of invisibility.

I'd be interested to hear the community's thoughts on this. Granted it's not a foolproof idea, however I believe that trying to make the dead ringer more skill based would reduce the number of people willing and able to use it as a crutch and make it more rewarding to play with when you net that perfect timing.

TL;DR: Dead ringer takes cloak when pulled out, drains while unused and out, less cloak = less armour, requires timing rather than just holding it out 24/7 and not having to react to anything. If you time it well you get more cloak time and better resistance, if you time it poorly or spam it you get less cloak time and bad resistance since you cannot pick up metal to extend your cloak time. The point is that you might as well have run the invis / cloak and dagger if you cannot time your dead ringer well.

a Woolen Sleevelet
Mildly Menacing
Mildly Menacing

Plays for : whatever the weeaboo team is called this season

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/Woolen/

Back to top Go down

Re: A writeup I put on reddit about how the dead ringer could be rebalanced to be more skill based and less spammable

Post  ElazuL on Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:34 pm

Already said, this is a great idea. Not many in depth thoughts on it because I'd like to try it before anything. But yes, I would like that a lot.

ElazuL
Unremarkable
Unremarkable

Plays for : Strong Opinions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A writeup I put on reddit about how the dead ringer could be rebalanced to be more skill based and less spammable

Post  Nickolaos on Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:44 am

Very interesting. I think your totally right about the dead ringer becoming more skill based. A spy with 10 hours in the game could use the old dead ringer and just spam it without any thought into what he is doing. However with the new skill based mechanic like you said it would make the DR harder to use by less experienced players and just less spamy in general while rewarding those who put the time and effort into mastering it. But sadly I dont really see Valve adding this in the game I mean remember cp_snowplow? "Too confusing for new players"

Nickolaos
Unremarkable
Unremarkable

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Segno on Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:31 am

Send to valve already.

Segno
Somewhat Threatening
Somewhat Threatening

Plays for : Spicy+ Support

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/SegnoGaming/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sneaky on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:52 am

This is a good idea actually, cant see anything wrong with it. However the chances of valve listening to us are low Shocked

Sneaky
Mildly Menacing
Mildly Menacing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  a Woolen Sleevelet on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:54 am

I did email valve about it with about 500 words accompanying it but I'm fairly certain they won't give two shits.

It'd be nice to get a reply though.

a Woolen Sleevelet
Mildly Menacing
Mildly Menacing

Plays for : whatever the weeaboo team is called this season

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/Woolen/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top